What would it be like to immerse yourself in the wilderness, carrying only a few basic items and being able to read the land to determine the resources that nature could provide for your sustenance and comfort, as Daniel Boone would do?
Wilderness Living Skills, Not Just Survival Skills!
When you learn to live from the resources that nature provides, then “survival” becomes second nature. Early American Explorers and Longhunters lived this way and now you can gain these skills for exploring nature.
Wilderness Pathfinder Adventure Series:
Rediscovering Our Adventuresome Spirit within the American Wilderness
The Wilderness Pathfinder Adventure Series covers the living skills of the 19th century explorers. The breadth of skills for these explorers was so great that we feel it is best to put them into a series of Adventures. Each Adventure in the series builds on the skills acquired in the previous Adventure.
The Foundational Skills Adventure
May 10 -16, 2020 ~ Accepting Early Registration!
- The Pioneer Adventure lays the foundations for all the Wilderness Pathfinder Adventures. The wilderness pathfinders of the 18th and 19th centuries relied heavily on their tools, the knife, ax, tomahawk, saw, and rope.
- The Foundations Skills Adventure focuses heavily on Fire Craft, Rope Craft, Knife Craft, Ax Craft and Saw Craft, with the objective of providing high levels of proficiency with which to prepare your home in the Wilderness
- Camp using 19th century style gear which is authentic to the explorers and hunters of the time period.
The Traditional Camper Adventure
May 17 – 23, 2020 ~ Accepting Early Registration!
- Camp using skills gleaned from the 19th century pathfinders.
- Prepare your own 19th century style gear for camping and trail travel.
- Create a home in the woods using your wits, a tomahawk and nature’s resources.
- Discover the art and skills of traditional woodcraft camping.
The Navigator Adventure
May 31 – June 6, 2020 ~ Accepting Early Registration!
- Navigate by reading the landscape and using natures signposts.
- Enter the world of the early pathfinders, using only spoken information and handmade maps to find your way.
- Use mental imaging to realize the big picture of pathfinding.
- Discover the cultural aspect of navigation.
Can you see natures signpost within the above photo. It provides various clues for natural navigation and finding ones directions. Discover these and more in the Navigator Adventure.
The Explorer Adventure
June 7 – 13, 2020 ~ Accepting Early Registration!
- Explore the land with traditional wilderness pathfinder skills.
- Travel using basic gear and the traditional 19th century gear that you made.
- Hone your nature awareness skills.
- Discover where and how to forage meals.
- Sleep under the stars in a bivouac shelter made from natural materials.
The gear provided by Desert DAWN for each Wilderness Pathfinder Adventure emulates what would have been used in the 19th century. You will receive a complete Clothing and Gear List once you are registered. You will need to provide your own clothing, and foot wear, we will provide nearly all the rest. Based on the Adventure, the gear we provide typically includes:
- Half Blanket
- Camp cloth, a 5’x5’ piece of cloth
- Webbing, 2” cotton
- Silk Scarf, 44’x44’
- Blanket pins, 3” (6)
- Field Knife w/sheath, fixed blade
- Neck Knife w/ sheath
- Tomahawk w/ mask
- Camp cup, 24 oz
- Cooking Kit
Basecamp formatted Adventures also include:
- Canvas Shelters
- Bed ticking (a heavy-duty fabric casing used for making a mattress in the field)
Registration and Fees
The Wilderness Pathfinder Adventure Series has been described as “the real deal”, meaning it is not pleasure camping; when it is raining you may be wet, when it is cold you may be cold, when it is snowing you may be cold and wet and throughout you will learn to work with the elements and the resources that nature provides to take care of yourself. It is camping with basic gear and dealing with whatever nature serves up. If you are ready for this type of adventure then the experience will certainly be challenging yet with positive personal benefits.
The Wilderness Pathfinder Adventures are designed as a pair covering two weeks.
The Foundation Skills Adventure and the Camper Adventure ~~ $2350
The Navigator Adventure and the Explorer Adventure ~~ $2350
Should your schedule not allow you to participate for the two week period, the adventures are $1470 per person per individual adventure.
We have found that it is quite helpful to speak with you directly before registering you for an Adventure. To start the conversation and properly match you with an Adventure, please…
Get in touch with us.
Call us at 435-335-7710, or email us using our contact form.