What would it be like to immerse yourself in the wilderness, carrying only a few basic items and being able to read the land to determine the resources that nature could provide for your sustenance and comfort, as Daniel Boone would do?
The Wilderness Pathfinder Adventure Series:
Rediscovering Our Adventuresome Spirit within the American Wilderness.
The Wilderness Pathfinder Adventures are designed to be sequential in order to develop prerequisite skills for subsequent adventures. The designed order is Camper Adventure, Explorer Adventure and Navigator Adventure.
The Camper Adventure
- Camp using skills gleaned from the 18th century pathfinders.
- Discover the art and skills of woodcraft camping
- Create a home in the woods using your wits, a tomahawk and nature’s resources.
- Prepare 18th century style gear.
- Process animals for food, tools and other accoutrements.
The Explorer Adventure
- Explore the land with traditional wilderness pathfinder skills.
- Travel using basic gear and the traditional gear that you made in the Camper Adventure.
- Discover where and how to forage meals.
- Sleep under the stars in a bivouac camp made from natural materials.
The Navigator Adventure
- Travel the land with your simple gear and navigate by reading the landscape and using natures signposts.
- Enter the world of the early pathfinders, using only spoken information and crude maps to find your way.
- Navigate without maps, compass or GPS.
- Use mental imaging to realize the big picture of pathfinding.
- Discover the cultural aspect of navigation.
Can you see natures signpost within the above photo. It provides various clues for natural navigation and finding ones directions. Discover these and more in the Navigator Adventure.
Wilderness Living Skills, Not Just Survival Skills!
The gear provided by Desert DAWN for each Wilderness Pathfinder Adventure emulates what would have been used in the late 18th century. You will receive a complete Clothing and Gear List once you are registered. You will need to provide your own clothing, and foot wear, we will provide nearly all the rest, including:
- Half Blanket
- Camp cloth, a 5’x5’ piece of cloth
- Webbing, 2” cotton
- Silk Scarf, 44’x44’
- Blanket pins, 3” (6)
- Field Knife w/sheath, fixed blade
- Neck Knife w/ sheath
- Tomahawk w/ mask
- Camp cup, 24 oz
Registration and Fees
The Camper Adventure ~~ August 4 – 10, 2019
The Explorer Adventure ~~ August 11 – 17, 2019
The Navigator Adventure ~~ August 18 – 24, 2019
The Wilderness Pathfinder Adventure Series has been described as “the real deal”, meaning it is not pleasure camping; when it is raining you may be wet, when it is cold you may be cold, when it is snowing you may be cold and wet and throughout you will learn to work with the elements to take care of yourself. It is camping with basic gear and dealing with whatever nature serves up. If you are ready for this type of adventure then the experience will certainly be challenging with positive benefits.
The fees per Adventure are $1470.
Ask about early registration and multiple adventure discounts.
We must speak with you directly before accepting your registration, you will not find a “Register Now” button on this website. To start the conversation, please…
Call 435-335-7710 or
Coming in 2020
The Naturalist – The nature awareness skills of a pathfinder.
The Hunter – Traditional hunting and trapping skills.
The Scout – The skills of seeing yet not being seen while traveling in the wilderness.